If you are a UK resident you will know how useful BBC iPlayer can be to catch up on your favorite UK soaps such as Eastenders, Peaky Blinders, etc.
In this article, we teach you how you can watch BBC iPlayer abroad and outside the UK using your firestick as this will come in handy if you are on vacation and don’t want to miss out on your favorite TV show or if you live abroad. (lucky you.)
What Is BBC iPlayer?
BBC iPlayer is an app made by the BBC (British Broadcasting Company) that allows you to catch up on any TV shows that have aired recently or any live sporting event, news, documentaries, and more.
It is like the Netflix of TV shows but only shows what TV shows have been on BBC unfortunately, but it still packs a powerful punch when it comes to streaming apps.
How To Watch BBC iPlayer Abroad Using A Firestick
So you may be reading this as you are stuck abroad or are not a UK resident and want to see some classic UK TV shows.
You have your firestick plugged in and you are ready to get BBC working let’s see below how to do this.
Method 1: Install BBC iPlayer From Amazon App Store
You can easily install the BBC iPlayer app from the amazon app store if you are in the UK before you go abroad or you may already have the app installed.
If you are abroad you can use a VPN such as THIS ONE then set the server on the VPN to the United Kingdom and you will be able to see the BBC iPlayer app if you search the Amazon app store.
Once you have it installed you will need to skip method 2 below to the next section to see how to get it working while you are in another country.
Method 2: Install BBC iPlayer Using The Downloader App
This method will work perfectly if your Amazon account is set to another country apart from the UK or you just can’t seem to find BBC iPlayer in your app store.
First, you will want to tweak the firestick to allow apps from unknown sources. To do this follow the below steps:
- From the firestick home screen choose settings (little settings cog)
- Select My Fire TV or Device
- Click Developer Options
- Select Apps From Unknown Sources
- Make sure to choose ON
- Click Turn On on the confirmation notification box
Now this will allow you to sideload and install any third-party Android app to your firestick in the future without running into any issues.
The next steps will add the app called “Downloader” onto your amazon firestick or amazon device if you do not already have this app installed.
- From the firestick home screen choose Find
- Now type in the word Downloader and click the orange icon
- Choose Download to start downloading the app
That’s it you have the firestick all primed up to install BBC iPlayer without any hiccups.
Don’t worry the next few steps are easy and quick so you will have BBC iPlayer installed in no time. Follow the below:
- Open the Downloader app and click on the URL bar
- Enter this URL bit.ly/bbc-iplayer2021 and click Go
- The BBC iPlayer apk will start to download
- Once finished click Install
- Now click Open
Unblock BBC iPlayer To Work Outside The UK
With BBC iPlayer being a UK streaming app they will only let you stream the app from the United Kingdom but there is a workaround.
- Subscribe to THIS VPN (Save Up To 86% OFF)
- Install the VPN onto your Firestick using their official VPN app
- Start the VPN app and select a United Kingdom server
- Open the BBC iPlayer app and put your Username and Password in (If you don’t have a free BBC iPlayer account then sign up here)
That’s it you have now unblocked BBC iPlayer while abroad and not within the UK so you can stream any TV show, Movie, Live Sports, News, etc, you want to.
This unblock method using a VPN will work in any country you are in whether you are just on vacation or live abroad as an ex-pat.
There you have it an easy way to watch BBC iPlayer while abroad to catch all the latest good TV shows from your hotel using nothing but your trusty amazon firestick.
If this guide has helped you to unlock BBC iPlayer then be sure to give it a share.